From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2008 2:56 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL.NO. 1594- 517TH PRCT-AUGUST 1, 2008

I am now in Dublin, Ca. and will visit Howard Hensleigh this evening at Menlo Park Veterans Center.

I may have missed some mail and will put it  in later Mail Calls including photos.

Please empty your Mail Box so that I wont get mail returned.

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to include Thunderbolt. Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the Thunderbolt. Send donations to Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY 12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace 66295 Highway 20 Bend, OR 97701

517th PRCT Auxiliary Mission Statement
517th PRCT Auxiliary Member Application 2007-2008
517th PRCT Auxiliary Officers and Committee Members 2007-2009
517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009
 Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)
Hosted by: Leila Webb and Donna Hilliard
 Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway
 7470 Highway 192 West
 Kissimmee, Florida 34747
Tele: 1(800)327-9170 FAX 1(407)396-4320
web site: www.ramadagateway.com
Contact: Leila Webb
4155 Kissimmee Park Road
 St. Cloud, Florida 34772
Tele:(407)892-3595

Mel Dalberg

Ben
A good neighbor of mine did a cleansing job on my computer, so it is great to
once again to be able to receive your E-mails (PTL).
I surely enjoyed the reunion in St. Louis. The committee did a super job in
putting it together-lots of kudos to them. It was great to talk to so  many
troopers especially my F company buddies.
Greetings to one and all,

Airborne then, now, and forever,
Mel Dahlberg
                                                    *************
Mel, It may have been an Idee10Tee problem-Ben

Tom McAvoy

 HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!!!!

The finale is great – moves fast... only lasts a minute
or so. Turn on your sound too.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1221321706636&source=jl999

Mark Landreth

Mr. Barrett;

I think it's been mentioned before, but I'd like to also put it out there for members of the 517th to consider.

The Library of Congress sponsors the Veterans History Project.

The VHP is an opportunity to recount your activities during the war years, 1939-1946, and have your testimony saved for posterity by the professional staff of the Library of Congress.

Some of you may think what you did during WWII wasn't remarkable, though history will surely disagree. But,  unless your entry is added to the collection, no one will have a chance to assess it for themselves.

I think it'd be a great opportunity to talk about your friends and what you did during that time. Moreover, by mentioning them in your report, it'd be a great way to honor those you left behind.

A number of your 517th colleagues have participated. I think almost two dozen at last count.

The website is -   http://www.loc.gov/vets/

I hope you and your comrades in arms will consider adding your thoughts.

All the best to you,
mark

Audrey Coffman

Hi Ben

Did you print the recipes from the reunion? If so what

mail call did I miss.  Hope your doing well....

Thank you

Audrey Coffman--------------What recipe? If Tom Copsey's chocolate chip cookies, it is on the box. - Ben

Howard Hensleigh

Ben,  Good timing.  We eat between 5 and 6.  Look forward to seeing you.

The reunion and the work of the auxiliary is excellent news and merits the planning and time we put into it.

Hello to your California family,  HH

June Huffman

Thanks   I just did that    How was the Reunion?  I know I will have a lot of good reports on it.

Wayne Cross

August 1944 - From the Chronicle of the 517 Parachute Regimental Combat Team, which I believe was compiled and written by Clark Archer

"By the middle of August, plans had been finalized for the next operation.  This was to be the invasion effort.  The Combat Team was transported to marshalling areas located at air strips near Rome. Final briefings were conducted, chutes were issued, and men loaded into C47s.

In the early morning hours of 15 August the Team was on its way toward the goal of every Paratrooper,as an airborne spearhead for an invading army. At 0430 hours the sky over Le Muy France filled with chutes and the attack was under way.

The action throughout the next three days threw the Germans into a state of chaos.  Enemy convoys were attacked, communication lines were severed, and towns and villages were occupied as Troopers fought toward their objectives.  Le Muy, Les Arcs, La Motte, and Draguignan became names to be remembered.  Part of the Third Battalion landed and proceeded to Claviers shattering enemy lines and installations as they went.  Remaining troops of the Third Battalion had landed in the hills East of Tourettes and were joined by British Paratroopers.  The combined force annihilated a large German convoy speeding reinforcements to defensive positions near the beach.

Lt. Col. Boyle and a handful of men made a gallant stand at Les Arcs.  remaining elements of the First Battalion captured assigned objectives.

The 460th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion, under Lt. Colonel Cato, had a bulk of its guns deployed and ready to fire by 1100 hours.

The Second Battalion pushed through to join with the First as the Germans began massing their forces on the outskirts of Les Arcs for an all out counterattack.

The Third Battalion completed a 40 Km forced march.  The Team consolidated and attacked all assigned German positions.  Thus the way was cleared for the beach forces to push towards the North."

-To be continued

 Guest Book entries

Name: Jim Westberry