From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:08 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; Christophe.VILLER@coe.int
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1912- 517TH PRCT- NOVEMBER 18, 2009

Please send links  when possible. It saves me for searching for the link and saves space on Mail Call.

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

video:  First Airborne Task Force prep, with Bill Boyle

Dick Spencer - HQ CO, 3rd Battalion

Leo Balestrini - 460 PFAB, Battery A

Remembrance of Capt. Robert P. Woodhull, by Tory Parlin

2009 Europe Road Trip Photos

Annual Florida Mini-Reunion

January 16-19,2010

Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

Darrell Egner

Hi Helen

I was talking to Dorothy Mackenzie this morning to give her a run down on Hunter McDonald's operation.  She told me she still talks to Jim every night and feels bad because he is not remembered in print at least.  She asked if we could place in the Thunderbolt a list of our 28 National Reunion with the Presidents names.

If my memory serves me he held the first one in Chicago 1949.  Don't hold me to this but I know he was involved from day one.  If you don't have this information maybe Ben could help.  I know such a list was published quite some time ago.

Guess I better bring you two up to date on Hunter.  He went in for a major operation on his heart November 2 and had a "Pig Valve" installed.  After the operation he could not breath so they put him on a machine to help him breath.  He is now breathing on his own but still in Intensive Care.  I talked to Emme this morning and they don't know when he can go home.  The Doctor's told her he is doing fine but the recover time takes about 3 months.

Emme is not taking calls as she is at the hospital every day so quite a few people called me asking why they can't get through to her.  I asked all of them not to call Emme and I would keep all of them up to date on his condition which I have done.  Needless to say I haven't been able to talk to Hunter yet.  From what I have heard he will be as good as new when he recovers.

Helen I think the list of Reunions with the Presidents names would be of interest to the Thunderbolt readers.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Mini in January.  (Dorothy is coming)

Darrell

Hi Dorothy and Darrell,

This is a list that I have.

Dorothy,

Missed you at recent reunions. Glad that you will attend the Kissimmee reunion.

517 PRCT Association -- Officers and Directors 2008-2009

President Merle McMorrow
1st Vice President

Secretary-Treasurer

Leo P. Dean

Directors
Kaare Allan Johnson
Ben Barrett
Thomas R. Cross
Eugene Brissey
Richard Seitz
Phil McSpadden
President in Memoriam: Colonel Rupert Davidson Graves
Past Presidents
2008-2009 Darrell Egner
2006-2007 Gene M. Frice
2004-2005 Howard E. Hensleigh
2002-2003 Allan Goodman
1999-2001 Merle W. McMorrow
1997-1999 J.K. Horne, Jr.
1995-1997 Fred Brown
1993-1995 Bob Dalrymple
1991-1993 Joe Miller
1989-1991 Roy Landreth
1987-1989 Tom Cross
1985-1987 Frank Grbinich
1981-1983 Clinton "Tex" Lowe
1983-1985 Charles Pugh
1979-1981 Cameron Gauthier
1977-1979 Gene Camplin
1975-1977 Erle E. Ehly
1973-1975 James Mackenzie
1970-1973 William J. Boyle

Chris Viller

Dear Ben,

We had recently a mail exchange concerning the Ceremonies in Southern France this summer. If you were from the Group present on August 16th I gave 7  issues of  "Watch on the Rhine ", the Newsletter I'm publishing within my Re-enactor Group once a Year?

If you got it could you tell me what you've been thinking of it ?

Would you care sending me whatever you can tell me about your War experience in the 517th PIR?
I prepared a questionnaire which might help or not, but would be greatly honored if you would accept to be published in the next issue that I am preparing for January 2010.

You can forward this questionnaire to other people of your outfit in case they would accept to share their experience.

Best regards,

Chris Viller, ROTM

QUERY / ABOUT YOUR WWII EXPERIENCE

  1. What is your name ( or the name of the person for whom you testify ) ?

  1. Where were you born and which year ?

2bis) If you were a child at this time just tell what significant events you can remember ?

  1. If you were a civilian specify the time & place of the events you are relating ?

  1. When did you join the Army, in which Corp or Army Unit & at which place ?

In case you were in several Armies, specify in which Army ?

  1. Can you tell in a few lines (or more if you wish ) your WWII Itinerary with dates ( if possible ) or approximate period of events?

  1. If you were captured & became Prisoner, can you tell where & how it happened. Can you specify by wich troops you were captured & where were you hold POW ?

Also when were you released & by which Forces ?

  1. What Events remain significant to you regarding your Soldier Position either during combat or during R&R whenever you got the chance ?

  1. Were you generally well supplied with

Equipment, Food, Ammunition & clothing ?

Do you have some memories in this field ?

Do you remember if you were using captured equipments ?

  1. Where were you on VE-Day & how did you learn the end of the war ? Did the combat end straight then in your area ?

10) After the War, if you went back to the places you’ve been fighting, how long after the war was it?

Did you then meet people you had known during the war ?

Thanks in advance to consider answering my query, even partially. The questions are perhaps not corresponding to your situation at the time, but could help in some ways. If you prefer, just write what you’d like to tell me about your war experience and would allow me to publish in the historical Newsletter that I’m editing for our Young Fellows in France. If you have complementary documents, personal paper, photos ( paper version or scanned ) that would add a lot illustrating the article.

You can contact me either by email:

Ch.viller@gmail.com

Or by post-mail

Christophe Viller

26, rue des Veaux

67610 La Wantzenau - France

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear from you. I did not get a copy of "Watch on the Rhine".

I will try to provide you with information and will transmit your request to all members on my News Letter "Mail Call" to over 400 members. I send this out nearly every day.

You can get information about me by clicking on

Ben Barrett

from my web site www.517prct.org  This web site will give you all information you want to know about the 517th. Check on

Read

www.517prct.org/archives to see what "Mail Call" is about.

Also click on

History and Archival Documents

     Includes December 1944 roster

How to find information about a 517th soldier

Training and WWII Photos
Books and References about the 517th
Individual Decorations
517 Honor Roll
European Grave Sites
WWII Casualty Reports (under construction)
WWII Recollections - Soldier's Stories
Soldier Stories in the News or on the Internet

Just go to my web site  www.517prct.org to find all information about the 517th
.
Let me know how this works for you. Thanks for your interest in the 517th.

I will be in touch.

Ben

Please help Chris. Anyone that interested in the 517 deserves our cooperation.
Ben