From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:52 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1815 -517TH PRCT- JUNE 20, 2009

517th Parachute Regimental Combat Team  1943-1945

Major John "Boom Boom" Alicki, Reg. HQ

1917 - 2008

biography

517th Corporate Sponsor:

Contents

517th Unit Overview and Short History

517 PRCT Association
517th Auxiliary (Relatives and friends)

517th History and Archives: Training and WWII Histories, Books, Stories, Documents
Training and WWII Photos

517th Mail Call

Meet the Troopers

Soldier Stories in the News or on the Internet

Friendlies - Links to other related sites

Reunions and Commemorations

Guestbook Sign in now!

How to find information about a 517th soldier

517th Logos, Patches, Shirts, and Insignia

Sponsors

 Search this site

Links

Airborne, Army and Other Links on the Web

The Static Line

Airborne and Special Operations Museum

Veterans History Project

Florida State University, Institute on WWII

Heartland Airborne Memorial

The World War II Honor Roll      Now searchable by Unit

Military Records from Ancestry.com

WWII Enlistment Records from NARA

Request Copies of Military Personnel Records

Wikipedia listing for the 517th PRCT

Lt. Colonel

William J. Boyle

191? - 2009

biography

Reunions
Register Now!

National Reunion

Salt Lake City

July 9-13, 2009

Update on the

517th Film Project

The Story of Corbin Zickefoose's Letters from France

Irma Targnion's Story
Battle of the Bulge

History of the 517th by

Lt. Gen. Richard Seitz

at the 517th Reunion, Savannah, GA

August 2005

See Site Information for submitting material.

Howard Hensleigh

Note to Jerry Wolfford:  McQuaid was real alright.  In the attack on St. Cezaire he was in I Co and assisted Sgt. Frank Dallas in killing enough Germans in their defense line to allow I Co to achieve their objective with few if any casualties.  In Lille after VE Day when I saw McQuaid get off the pass truck I instructed my MPs to pick him up when they saw him headed for trouble but before he got into it.  I locked him up in our jail that was a miserable hole until the pass trucks were ready to leave.  By then he had sobered up, but thought he would be in deep trouble with Mel Zais, but I assured him that no charges would be preferred.  McQuaid had points and the I Co CO made sure he made use of them and left the unit in Joigny with the other high point men.  That was the saddest day in McQuaid's life and tears stained his face all the way to the departing train.  He was a dead shot and a hell of a man to have in combat.  I talked to Frank Dallas once about him and Frank told me he was an American Indian.  We were fairly certain when he left us that we probably would not see him again.  This is not the first time I have written about McQuaid so there must be other accounts in Mail Call.  Howard Hensleigh
Howard's accounts in past Mail Calls as well as other information about McQuaid  can be found by using our search engine on the website . Search this site

Correction:  If you search for McQuaid you won’t find anything, but there is plenty about McQuade.

Read Mail Call No.  933 - Jul 04 '05   ( just click on) to find info about McQuaid as well much about St. Cezaire sent to us by Howard -Ben

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:

William Daniel, a telecommunications instructor in Brooklyn, NY sent me a very good DVD of his interview of Tom Weil of G Co. and the 3rd Bn. S-2 Section.  Tom covered the 517th bases very well, gave a good account of our 5 major battles and descriptively covered the life of an airborne soldier in training and combat.  He mentioned that those making our film might like to use some of the footage and that he was sending you a copy.  Did you get one?  He also mentioned that Tom had appeared before assembled groups of students at the high school where he gave a WWII talk and answered students questions.    Howard Hensleigh

I do have a copy and Rob McDonald also has a copy.-Ben

John Alicki (From an old Mail Call )

                                               MY AMERICA
Most famed than Rome, as splendid as old Greece,
And saintlier than Hebrew prophet's dream,
A shrine of beauty, Italy inspired;
A nobler France by truth and freedom fired;
As hale as England, treasuring the gleam
Of knightly Arthur; though a land of peace,
As brave as Sparta-----till all hellish wars shall cease.

In thoughts, as wise as is her prairie sea;
In deeds, as splendid as her mountain piles;
As noble as her mighty river tides.
Let her be true, a land where right abides;
Let her be clean, as sweet as summer isles;
And let her sound the note of liberty
For all the earth,
'til every man and child be free!

Thomas Curtis Clark

Howard Hensleigh

Dear Ben:

In a recent telephone call, Albert Sperry of B Co. raised a point about the jump suit on which someone may be able to give us some information.  Al has given talks before local high school groups and mentioned that the first use of the baggy side pockets all the kids now have on their pants were copied from the pockets on jump suits where they were first used.  i am sure this statement is correct and wonder if Dick Seitz or any of the first to join the paratroops have any information on the jump suit, when it first was issued, and how these pockets were made part of it.  It is one thing about the jump suit to which the kids of today can relate.

Howard Hensleigh