From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:50 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: MAIL CALL NO. 1589- 517TH PRCT- JULY 24, 2008

A Must read from the website.

Irma Targnion's Story
Battle of the Bulge

Also
From Recollections Entry of Apr 28, 2006 at 10:32 [EST]
From: Maria Gaspar , Frech Civilian
Subject: Childhood memories

Bergeval - 1942, July 2d

I'll never forget this special day. We hid at home a young boy from Waimes ( annexed territory) His name was Joseph GERARDY. Joseph was "refractaire" it means that he did not want to be a soldier for Germany. Many boys from this part of Belgium escaped and were hidden in the farms in our area. It was the haymaking season and we were working very hard so, this morning of July 2d we were sleeping deeply when Joseph opened the door of our bedrooms and said : "the Gestapo is on the front door. He said : "I will jump thru the window" it was too late a Gestapo man was in the window with a revolver and a feldgendarme was there too with a sub-machine-gun. The felgendarmes were really terrifying with their helmet and they roared. We got up, we dressed up and we went downstairs (my mother, Joseph and me). 2 men from the Gestapo interrogated us and the others were searching everywhere in the house. They wanted to know the name of the boy, his real identity. We kept silent. During our questioning, Joseph tried to escape but the german soldiers run and shoot him. Joseph was wounded in his back and in the shoulder. When the Gestapo left with the wounded boy, they told us : "we shall come back to take your mother". We could not sleep during a long time. Joseph came back to Waimes after 3 years in a concentration camp. He died in 1990. I was (Maria) 16 years old at this time and to see a german shooting a boy is a thing you'll never forget. The Mayor of Trois-Ponts, Mr Noël was taken off to prison on the same day because they made cards for supplies to help people. Mr Noël hid also young men from the Eastern townships. He stayed 3 years in Buchenwald and he came back in a sorry state. The secretary died in the camp. Maria GASPAR

Please try to send in donations to Keep the 517 PRCT Association viable. Suggested amount $30.00 to  include Thunderbolt.  Auxiliary members $20.00 Plus $10.00 if you want to receive the  Thunderbolt.  Send donations to  Leo Dean, 14 Stonehenge Lane, Albany, NY  12203.  Make checks payable to 517prct.  Donations for the Auxiliary should be sent to  Karen Frice Wallace   66295 Highway 20  Bend, OR 97701
Ben

Website                               www.517prct.org
Roster                                   www.517prct.org/roster.pdf

517th Annual Florida Mini-Reunion January 17,18,19, 20, 2009

 Banquet on the 20th (Tuesday) and Departing on the 21st (Wednesday)

  Hosted by: Leila Webb and Donna Hilliard

 Location: Ramada Hotel & Inn Gateway

 7470 Highway 192 West

 Kissimmee, Florida  34747

Tele: 1(800)327-9170          FAX 1(407)396-4320

Contact: Leila Webb

4155 Kissimmee Park Road

 St. Cloud, Florida       34772

Tele:(407)892-3595

Gina Votti

Since parts of Europe are in the news today, perhaps it's a good time to send out a "reminder."

Despite what you may or may not hear, there are Europeans who remember, or who are taught about their liberation by American and Allied forces during WW II.  Liberation from what?  starvation, forced, cruel labor, imprisonment, and the threat of unspeakable atrocities, including mass murder.

Here is absolute proof.  This recent email is from the newsletter of an incredible organization I am privileged to belong to (as an auxiliary member), because my father was among the soldiers who participated in some of those liberations.  The organization is made up of American, French and Belgian paratroopers who continue to honor their brave comrades.

http://www.517prct.org

But, the real story is that we are alive to be thankful.

Never forget, please.  Teach your children.
Our enemy still rages like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

Ronald Stassen   (Netherlands friend)

Ben,

 It’s my pleasure to look after the Grave of Robert P Woodhull.

We may never forget, LEST FORGETT

 Unfortunately they made a mistake on his grave stone, we are still trying to make the correction work.

 Best regards

Ronald       Photo was in last Mail Call-Ben

Juliana Stonis

Hi Ben,

Just wanted to let you all know that my mom, Julia Stonis is not doing well. She has been diagnosed with liver cancer and it does not look good. We are all just so incredibly sad about this, especially my dad.  Please say a prayer for her everyone.

Thanks,
Juliana Stonis
Daughter of John Stonis A Company and C Company
Pat Seitz and Allan Greer

Ben:  yes to the Headlines from the war years. Please keep them coming as long as their use does not impose even the remotest burden on you.  Pat and Alan

Rick Sweet

Hi Ben,
   I hope that you are well. I just wanted to put my two cents worth in and tell you that I enjoy the Headlines from the war years.  The journalists seemed a lot more patriotic in those days and I always like anything about our past history, especially WWII. Thanks .. Rick Sweet
517th Parachute Infantry
Memorial Service
July 9, 1944

Return to Home

Booklet Info

Page 1 - Cover
Page 2 - In Memoriam
(List of KIAs to date)
Page 3 - Program
Page 4 - Col. Graves
Page 5 - Chaplain Brown 1
Page 6 - Chaplain Brown 2
Page 7 - Chaplain Brown 3
Page 8 - Chaplain Brown 4
Page 9 - Chaplain Brown 5

Thanks for Visiting the 517th PRCT Guestbook!

View Guestbook Entries from 2000-2006

Back to 517th PRCT | View guestbook | Sign guestbook

We have 62 entries displayed on 7 pages.
1 2 3 4 5 6  |  Next >  |  Last >>

We have 62 entries displayed on 7 pages.
1 2 3 4 5 6  |  Next >  |  Last >>

A Bill Mauldin Cartoon

"Nonsense.  S-2 reported that machine gun silenced hours ago.

Stop wiggling your fingers at me."