From: Ben517@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:43 PM
To: Ben517@aol.com; kayla210218@hotmail.com; hollomanh@bellsouth.net; Tomx517@aol.com
Subject: MAIL CALL 1839- 517TH PRCT -JULY 22, 2009

I am composing Mail Call under personal difficulties and therefore it may not be complete and all questions answered. If I have omitted your mail, send it again. It will take time to change information on the website.
Ben

Donations for whatever program involving the 517th should be sent to our treasurer Leo Dean at 14 Stonehenge Lane,Albany 12203

Update on the

517th Film Project

St. Cezaire and Les Arcs today

A Company in Life Magazine 1944

Bob Barrett

Here’s a book that came out in 2003 that I wasn’t aware of.

Airborne: A Combat History of American Airborne Forces, by E. M. Flanagan

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0891416889/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=#

It includes quite a few pages about the 517th, including Boyle, Biddle, Seitz, Cato, Zais, Dragoon, etc

Mary Jane Hanron

Hi Ben,

I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir but wanted to be sure that everyone was aware of the availability of the new 44cent US postage stamp honoring the Purple Heart. I think it is very elegant and classy and would encourage anyone when purchasing stamps at the PO not to just accept the little book they hand over to you, but to request specially the Purple Heart Stamp. I did!!!

Mary Jane

Patricia and Roland Orengo

Happy Birthday, Ben

See You soon in Sospel.

Take care
Patricia and Roland
Sospel, France

Gene Frice

Ben/Merle,

Merle,
  I think you have adequately identified the problem and the solution w/options.
  As you noted, the mailing should go only to the individuals who are paid members and the person to which the publication(s) should go, as related to the items or numbers requested on the order form in the Thunderbolt. As you stated that person would deliver the mail to others in the family or friends. nuf said?

  We have a number of other items still in the inventory - those items should be placed on the order form.
  1.  The 517th Odessey
  2.  The 517th  film
  3.  The Frice (no author identified) "517th Order of Battle."
  4.  The Frice CD - "Wings, Boots, Guns and Camaraderie"

Gene Frice, F Co (still in Berlin)

Ben,

To finish up the Valkyrie epic let me add the following:

As I had previously mentioned, “Valkyrie” is now observed on July 20th, as a German National Holiday. The day relates to a number of attempts over the years to dispose or kill Adolph Hitler. Valkyrie identifies several hundred of senior military officers and German citizens who were subsequently killed by Hitler and his Gestapo in an attempt to identify the planners.

A museum, “German Resistance Memorial,” is located on an active military post, in the center of Berlin, near the Tiergarten. It is the courtyard identified in the Cruise movie Valkyrie, and it is the site where the conspirators conducted the planning. It was generally thought the Museum, and yesterdays memorial, was for the leaders of the Valkyrie attempt against Hitler, Generals, Olbrich, Beck, and Colonel Claus Graf Staufenberg. They were identified for years as “traitors” for their act and only recently known as “heroes.”  In fact, the ceremony and the museum is in honor of the thousands killed, as far back as the 1930’s.

The ceremony, was attended by several hundred, representing family and friends of those all those lost in opposition to Hitler. Plaques of the Valkyrie leadership “heroes” are posted in the museum courtyard. In keeping with european protocol massive floral wreaths covered the brass plate in the courtyard identifying the occasion. The street in front of the Military Post is named appropriately, Saufenbergstrasse.

I recommend Helena Schrader's publication "The Valkyrie Conspiracy." and her web site. She is an American Foreign Service Officer. <valkyrie=plot.com/index.html>

       Gene Frice F co

Claire Giblin

Hi, Ben -

Brenda Mortenson, our new Auxiliary treasurer, is still in the process of setting up the new account.  Auxiliary checks should be deposited within the week, as soon as the new officers and Board are listed so she can prove she's really the treasurer!

Hi, Ben -

Please post the new auxiliary officers as follows:

President: Michael Wells

1st VP: Lory Curtis

2nd VP: Bonnie Fraser Littlefield

Secretary: Tom Copsey

Treasurer: Brenda Vorteck Mortenson

Board: Helen Beddow

             Marty Donahue

             Karen Frice Wallace

             Claire Johnson Giblin

              Chris Lindner

              Steve Markle

Thanks

Darrell Egner

Ben

First of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  You kept it a secret until I read about it in Mail Call.  Hope your having a wonderful time in beautiful Tahoe one of my favorite places.

As you know I am always full of suggestions.  To save you time and space you could delete from Mail Call the 517th Film Project as well as send Movie contributions to Leo Dean.  The Movie is paid for and any future contributions should go to our Treasury.

I know I am no longer President however I still plan to stay active in the 517 PRCT.

The best to you and stay healthy,

Darrell Egner

Thanks for Visiting the 517th PRCT Guestbook!

View Guestbook Entries from 2000-2006

Back to 517th PRCT | View guestbook | Sign guestbook

We have 79 entries displayed on 8 pages.
1 2 3 4 5 6  |  Next >  |  Last >>

Submitted by Comments:
Name: Jon Anderson